9.12.2015

Notebook Geek



I'm a notebook geek. Period.

Since about the year 2000, I've been fond of hand writing notes on various forms of paper. My initial urge was born out of a poor short term memory in addition to a constant curiosity and zeal for discovery, learning, and bettering myself. I've always had the urge to write things down- whether it was a book I'd like to read, something to look up later, an anecdote to tell someone else, curiosity to connect dots on, remind myself about things, lists of things, noticing things, reminder about a TV show, etc. I've been intrigued in hand writing notes for the better part of the past 12-15 years. My notebooks aren't organized much at all. For the past several years I've dated each specific entry, and throughout my "notebook era" I've marked the date range on the inside cover of each book, but otherwise I don't use any indexing system, page numbers, or other means of cataloguing. I want my notebooks to be messy, freewheeling, stream-of-conscious-y, and seemingly apropos of nothing... I want to force myself to engage in serendipitous flipping through the notebooks in search of cool things I once found important. I don't sketch or draw much, but it's certainly not an out of the question activity. I write quotes, word definitions, reminders, poems, general ideas, games I want to play, lyrics, thoughts, team name ideas, musings, criticisms, rants, politics, etc.... It's all kinds of Streeter stuff! {Note- my work notebooks are quite a bit different, as I must be able to refer to them for specific names, dates, and information}. I wouldn't characterize my notebook as a diary or journal. I don't make a strict habit of writing at the end of each day, or even retell the events of a day/ week/ etc. I typically only write anecdotes, and though they sometimes do recap a day or sequence of events, it's not an over arcing ambition to create a diary type notebook. I've got nothing against that notion, and the fact that I don't do it is because I'm barely awake every night to schedule that sort of habitual engagement. It's simple, I write when the urge strikes... sometimes that's multiple times per day or hour, and sometimes that's only once per week...


The premise of having a notebook (and writing utensil) always ready for use is important to me. If it's not convenient, then it's worthless. It's similar to the notion that, "the best camera is the one you have with you". If I were to buy $100 Indiana Jones style leather bound hand made notebooks that were left in my desk or in my truck, what purpose would it serve? For this reason, I've always preferred soft cover stitch bound pocket notebooks (or some reasonable facsimile thereof). I've had hard cover notebooks too, but they're not as pocket-able and thus don't serve my ultimate goal of always having it at the ready.

Initially, I thought I was cool and would make my own packs of 3x5 index cards which I assembled (stapled) into a crude notebook. I carried this "packet" around with me in my back pocket, a general habit which I still perform to this day. I used one of those multicolor clickable pens which allowed me to "color code" my notes (whatever that meant lol), but mostly opt for old fashioned "dead tree" pencils or pens. I've recently begun the search for the perfect pocket-able pen, but that's a discussion for another day...

After my foray into making my own notebooks, I switched to what I call "drug store" memo pads. These are ubiquitous and a dime a dozen notebooks made from card stock covers and cheap yellow ruled paper. These are utilitarian, but totally unremarkable and sort of cheap (in the sense that they don't always hold up to the rigors of a back pocket, etc.). These got me several years of writing, whether it be at home, out and about, or at work on the golf course...

I dabbled with the just-as-ubiquitous, yet just-as-boring Inspira Marble and Mead Memo Pads, and they served exactly the same purpose with similarly unsatisfying results.
I kept thinking that there had to be more. That's when I started using various "designer notebooks" such as Moleskine, Field Notes, and Rite in the Rain. There is an undeniable charm to each of these selections. The charm and preciousness of each vary wildly, and they all come at the notebook game from different positions. My go-to choice has been the Moleskine Cahier for several years now- so much so that I have other varieties, types, and styles kicking around too! There's something altogether simple, elegant, and refined about the Moleskine's that the others haven't provided me.

Moleskine, and more specifically, the Cahier seems to be what I keep coming back to (I use the brown/ plain paper ruled style)! I've done cursory web searches and research on pocket notebooks from the likes of Doane, Ecosystem, Rhodia, Leuchtturm1917, Whitelines, Word., Baron Fig, and a few others.... but have not taken any leaps toward any new brands or styles. There's something simple and gratifying about Moleskine that I take comfort in- and I like the overall quality, the paper color, the durability, simplistic card stock cover... and I even like the minimalistic embossed logo! Those that I have not tried could very well meet those needs (and wants) but I won't know if they aren't easy to get a hold of, which brings me to the other positive factor of Moleskine- they're available at Barnes & Noble and Target stores, as well as (obviously) online. It's nice to be able to pick up various types of these pocket notebooks if I want one in a hurry...

It's worth mentioning that for a period of 3-4 years I almost quit keeping a notebook altogether. Yikes! This was because I thought smartphones could replicate and take the place of paper notebooks and handwriting.... boy was I wrong! It's just not the same. Though my phone is almost always on my person, and there are phones with stylus' that make note taking more akin to paper/ pencil, it just doesn't have the tactile sensation and sense of personal attachment that a notebook does. Smartphones can't be coffee stained or chock full of Chinese takeout fortunes. They can't patina and "wear in" over time. Smartphones don't ever become unique personal items like notebooks do. For those reasons, I drifted away from utilizing my phone as a notebook, though I still use it for reminders/ alerts, because they are really really good at that kind of thing!

When a thought crosses my mind, I love to know I can capture it. As the Field Notes motto/ slogan states, "I’m not writing it down to remember it later, I’m writing it down to remember it now". How true is that. Notebook use is not always an act for future reference, it's quite often a means to capture a moment and let it sink in. There's something about writing things down that helps retention, whether short term or long term. Regardless of the intention, the simple act of pulling out a notebook, flipping through the pages, and physically leaving a mark on the page is something I will continue to do. It's valuable, enjoyable, worthy of my time, endearing to my future self, and something I not only do out of habit at this point, but something I am incredibly eager to do!
As for the others' limitations:
-Expedition Field Notes: branded as tear-proof, all-weather, and high visibility. Pretty cool concepts, but I just found the paper too "slippery" and difficult to write on. I couldn't use my gel pen while at work (which I carry for signing documents, etc.), and my pencil smeared, faded, and rubbed/ ghosted to succeeding pages. All sort of deal-breakers...

-Original Field Notes- these are the basic FN design, which I do really like. The inside and back covers have some cool info, witticisms, and personalizations... which I thought would seal the deal for me. Not quite. My biggest issue here is the stapled binding, which seems to be more easily destructed while housed in my pocket for hours upon hours each and every day. It seems to be more prone to bending, sweat, heat, and constant wear and tear. I also don't love the color of the paper or the "feel" and look of the covers' corners. Still a good notebook, just not quite perfect for me...

-Rite in the Rain- these are "all weather" notebooks geared towards those who- like me- work outdoors. While I can appreciate these aspects, the paper again just doesn't "feel" right to me. I would tolerate this if I was literally writing notes in rainstorms, but most of the time I can shelter myself for enough time to get notes written without jeopardizing their long term viability.

Carrying a notebook is a little bit old fashioned and definitely very analogue.  It's unfortunately probably a little bit hipster too, which I'm ok with because- like my beard- I've had it for years and done these things things for much longer than their "trendy" diversions have existed.  I like being the guy who almost always has that pen or paper handy when someone needs to write a note, etc.  I like stamping an ethereal moment into my notes for future reference, and I can't imagine not having a notebook always near me!


I hope you've enjoyed my take on notebooks!  Is it something you do, or think you may like?  Either way, thanks for reading!!



---------

The following link brings you to a quality review and in depth comparison between Moleskine Cahier and Field Notes basic notebook. I've gone back to this guys thoughts

over a period of time, and they're certainly more substantial and eloquent than I have accomplished above.

http://criticalcreig.org/2011/04/moleskine-v-fieldnotes/





No comments: