7.04.2015

Music...

Kurt Vonnegut once wrote about music,
"It makes practically everybody fonder of life than he or she would be without it".

I couldn't have stated it better. Nowhere in that idea is negativity- its purity and truth is found within the responsibility heaped upon the entity of music... It's uplifting, because it is a responsibility which music is more than willing to oblige.

I think about all the times in my life that music has guided me. Whether through pain, heartbreak, heartache, or despair, I've leaned on it heavily for solace, light, and resolve.  During times of excitement, exuberance, passion, and victory, I've been afforded the companionship of music as well.

Music heals and smoothes over. It distracts and uplifts. It's evocative in more ways than imagery or words alone by themselves can evoke... There's power there in the synergy. Lyrics, melody, chorus, musicianship, storytelling... Whatever form it needs to be or is in a particular moment, it always comes through.
Hence, KV makes the truism of how music "makes everybody fonder of life"!


Music has been on the brain a lot lately due to the launch of Apple Music and their reimagining of streaming music, curated play lists, and live "radio"! My 3 month free trial will certainly get stress tested. So far, I couldn't have imagined how excited a new music service would make me for curated listening! I've used all the other services (Google Play All Access, Rhapsody, Xbox Music, Spotify, Slacker, Rdio, Mog, Beats) and I'm really seeing the differences so far with Apple's iteration... for instance, I listened to a "radio show" Saturday night- Dr. Dre's "The Pharmacy"! It was so old school and sort of fun...!



Seeya,

AM Son




Composed while listening to "The Pharmacy", a live Beats1 radio program with Dr. Dre. Lots of Hip Hop & Rap & R&B, which was what I was expecting... But it felt "alive" and dynamic, and overall I was captivated.








No comments: