3.20.2015

Out of Nowhere

Guilty pleasures, things that don't align with a certain personality, interests that fly in the face of conventional wisdom... Whatever we choose to call it, we all have them!  I'll stick with calling it a guilty pleasure for the sake of writing and brevity.

Around the 1st of the year I was introduced to Meghan Trainor via some circuitous events that came out of nowhere.  Weird, for sure. Whatever it was, these events conspired and coalesced to grab my interest, and has totally won me over!

Suffice it to say I was late to the 'All About That Bass' party. I didn't even hear a single second of the song until on or about mid December 2014.  So when 'Title' was released and made available through my streaming service, I gave it a cursory and sort of dismissive listen.  I did so because it was a forgone conclusion that I wouldn't enjoy it... I don't like pop music, I don't typically like female singers too much either (except Sarah McLachlan obviously!), and I generally gravitate away from what is 'all the rage' and trendy in pop culture.

I'm so glad I made the plunge!  I have to admit, MT is pretty darn clever and good! The album (Title) is really really good. It has cool retro inspired (90's-ish) pop a la Mariah Carey and En Vogue... nothing really raunchy or overly sexual like is so prevalent today.  All of that adds up to a huge win for me!  The music is fun, has something to say, is playful, and is overall a fine example of someone not taking an overly dramatic or serious approach to art.

Here's the kicker- unless something else comes out of nowhere- 'Title' will probably be my favorite album of the year!  I've discovered some really good music this year so far, and though some of it is not new to 2015, it's new to me; and as I've always stated, it's when I discover it that counts for my 'best of the year' list, not when it was released.

All is well- this album is really making its mark on me. I hope Ms. Trainor can keep this up. There's plenty of other good stuff I have on heavy rotation now too ('Season One' by Saukrates, 'Fly Rasta' by Ziggy Marley, to name a few), but the leader thus far is 'Title'!

Seeya,
AM Son


Ironically, this post about music was written while listening to... The Celtics broadcast on TV!


No comments: