1.21.2015

Allegiance



"They say that when it comes to choosing heroes,
It's best to pick the ones who aren't around.
If you choose among the living,
You tend to have misgivings
When your hero lets you down.
He might have a bad night in your town"              
     --Heroes (John Gorka)




There is value in the above song lyric. I see it as a reminder to tread carefully when hitching my wagon to anything. Having reason for why I "back" something is prudent, practical, and allows for a change of opinion in the future...


The above song lyric is applicable not just to "heroes", "idols", etc. but also to things, people, or enterprises we choose to champion, look up to, follow, support, or fanaticize over.


We can't expect all products we buy, causes we support, people we associate with, or *ahem* teams we root for to be squeaky clean and have no skeletons hanging in their closets. I know I certainly don't live in a glass house.


So, I will continue to support the things that I do for the reasons I choose. If and when I see fit to discontinue support for a certain thing, I will have my reasons.


Unfortunately, we don't always have the luxury of "picking the ones who aren't around"...




In a poem titled "Song of Myself", Walt Whitman wrote,




"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then, I contradict myself,

(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"




This thought is brilliant. It allows for thought to be a living and breathing mechanism of ones soul. It allows for growth, learning, and improvement. So, I say to myself... "have your reasons- be able to explain yourself, and be ready to change your mind if you feel genuine reason to do so". Until then, stay the course and do not let others sway you from that path. Do not let the white noise distract, or the haters hate.


I've always told myself, when presented with situations like these:
"what does one see when looking at the world through a microscope...?  -small things."



Sounds good!



Seeya,

AM Son



Written while listening to the Boyhood Motion Picture Soundtrack (Summer Noon- Jeff Tweedy)




No comments: