7.26.2013

Musings

In the span of 6 days I've been called incompetent and told that my hard work is "terrible".  I've also had my work compared to something that is over a hundred miles away from me physically and which I've never seen or heard of or even know exists...!

I will brighten that grey news with this:

I've met 4 of our 5 neighbors immediately surrounding our home!  We've lived here for about a year and a half now and (mostly via walking Pepper) I've had the pleasure to meet dozens of friendly, welcoming people all around our neighborhood.  As expected, some are more outgoing and chatty than others.  But overall I get a nice sense of community and good faith from those around us.

It comes in stark contrast to the way I'm sometimes treated at work.  By and large, the people I come into contact with at work are respectful and polite, if not sometimes a bit standoffish.  It's ok though, being reserved and not overly chummy shall not be conflated with snobbery and/or disrespect.  However, some of the characters I come into contact with (an all too frequent)on a regular basis; whether through email, in person, or via the internet can be downright crass, elitist, and infuriating in their displays of rudeness, entitlement, and brashness.

The dichotomy is- in a way- comforting.  Thank you to my friendly neighbors!

------


Written while listening to, "Shallows Low" by Matthew Good (Lights of Endangered Species)


No comments: