3.20.2008

Goin' Geek on ya here!

Haven't posted in a while. Been thinking of writing a little something. Just haven't done it. That is until now!

Been playing a ton of video games lately. Yes, I'm a 29 year old who loves video games. Heck, I grew up on these things, and they've advanced so much over the years that they're basically akin to theatrical releases nowadays. The depth and breadth of current generation videogames are mind-blowing. Some of today's games have stories that can rival or even surpass blockbuster movies, and budgets to go along with them. Sport simulation games can make the gamer feel like they're actually managing a big league game, or feeling the pressure in a late game situation. Graphics have approached reality, while sounds and soundtracks are sometimes more intimate and deep than the games themselves. Games sure have come a long way since the days of "Pong" and "Defender".

All in all, games aren't simple time sinks like they were back in the early days (circa 1980's). They've grown and matured, and the gamers who nurtured them in their infancy have also grown and matured. Simply put, we're a match made in heaven- and anyone who knows me well knows I'm a gamer and I spend much of my free time engaged in playing, discovering, reading about, and critiquing games.

So what have I been playing lately? I recently bought a Playstation 3 to go with my Xbox 360. So now that I have both "next-gen" systems, I can focus my attention on playing the best games possible rather then staying blindly loyal to one particular system.

The PS3 is a very powerful and capable system, but does lag behind the 360 in many areas- namely online functionality and friends integration. The Blu-ray player within the PS3 is a great side benefit, and I'm sure it'll be nice to have that Hi-Def option going forward.

It's springtime, and that means I'm getting into my baseball gaming mode. This year, it's MLB '08: The Show on the PS3. Great game, I just can't get enough of it.

I'm also knee deep in a few first person shooters (FPS). As of now Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Frontlines: Fuel of War are my main interests, but I'm sure a new game will appear on my radar (no pun intended) soon.

Looking forward, I think Grand Theft Auto 4 will take up much of my time in the coming months. What else I'll be playing in the near future is anyone's guess at the moment. Summer is generally considered a slow time of year for game releases.

So, there ya have it. For the last few weeks before the golf course takes much of my free time, I've been enjoying myself in the comfort of my living room (coffee close by) playing some great games!

Take it easy, Peace!

AM Son

4 comments:

Che said...

Sorry Son, no matter how far along these systems come. I will still love Defender. But we have to have a PS3 party soon. And remember in just over a month I will be back online and we can kick some ass together again. I am thinking when I get back out there of getting Army of Two, check it out and let me know what you think if its worth the buy, and if I can look forward to seeing you with it too. And this has nothing to do with your post, but here is a quote I thought you would like.

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." Georges Santayana Dialogues in Limbo (1926)

Che said...

Sorry many wrong work it was actually Soliloquies in England and Later Soliloquies (1922)

http://www.childrensgolfblog.org said...

other community blogs (not affiliated with The Morning Call) Bethlehem Area Public Library News Blog Beyond Scrapple (restaurant reviews) Historic Bethlehem Partnership other resources Mcall. com Bethlehem News Musikfest 2007 recent entries Here comes the weekend An Exercise in Civility Brother, can you spare a billion? Golf Course Changes Youth sports lecture The piano man and woman Council Karaoke Obama sets up shop downtown Rwandan genocide survivor returns Do look back, Boston’ s coming themorningcall. ...

buy wow gold said...

buy wow gold...

As you are looking for video games web pages and websites, be sure to tap into all of the resources at your disposal....